Girl Friendly School Sanitation Improvement Project
The ‘Girl Friendly School Sanitation Improvement Project in Far Western Nepal’ will be implemented in the schools of two municipalities of Far Western Nepal i.e. Amargadhi municipality of Dadeldhura district and Dipayal Silgadhi municipality of Doti district. The main reason behind choosing these districts is because of the extremely poor sanitation condition and to address the deeply rooted traditional practice called ‘Chhaupadi’ (isolating girls and women from the outside world during their menstruation) which prevails here. Frequent absenteeism of girl students during their menstruation has posed threat in achieving the Millennium Development Goal 2 i.e. attainment of universal primary education in Nepal.
What’s happening now
- Preliminary visit to the area for the purpose of identifying the most needy and appropriate schools. Identification of two schools Adarsha Manilek Primary School in Amargadhi, Dadeldhura district and Durga Secondary School in Dipayal Silgadhi, Doti district as number of female students is more in these schools
- Understanding with the school management committee
- Call for application from capable engineering and construction firm
- Screening of engineering firm and their quotation
- Agreement with the engineering firm named Empire Construction Pvt. Ltd.
- Architectural design/model of the toilet is on its way