An Address to WPF “Dia­logue of Civ­i­liza­tions” by Julia Kinash

An Address at the 10th Anniver­sary of the World Pub­lic Forum “Dia­logue of Civ­i­liza­tions” by Julia Kinash, Pres­i­dent of the Inter­na­tional Move­ment “Youth Time”.

quote  Dear Col­leagues! Dr. Yakunin, Prof. Dall­mayr.

Dear par­tic­i­pants of the World Pub­lic Forum. On behalf of the Inter­na­tional Move­ment Youth Time I want to thank the World Pub­lic Forum for this amaz­ing oppor­tu­nity to be here with you and to carry on a dia­logue. I am sure our team-​work on the Rhodes Forum will be use­ful both for the older and younger gen­er­a­tions, as our young com­mu­nity is as ready for the changes as you are. I would like to, once again, stress that the dia­logue of gen­er­a­tions is vital to us. Yes, the future belongs to the young. Young peo­ple have tremen­dous energy. But with­out wis­dom, expe­ri­ence of the elders, trans­ferred to future gen­er­a­tions we can hardly talk about a pos­i­tive change. Dur­ing the last three years we held debates con­cern­ing the most impor­tant and painful ques­tions for young peo­ple. Par­tic­i­pants of our third forum really wanted to share their thoughts and wishes with you. Unfor­tu­nately, not all were able to stay for the 10th ses­sion of the Forum, but some of them recorded their wishes on video for the older generation. The world we live in became com­plex. The world became small and con­nected. The world is chang­ing very fast. And the speed of change is accel­er­at­ing. As one of our par­tic­i­pants said here a few days ago, the world looks like a huge air­port, where every­thing moves and changes con­stantly. Global envi­ron­ment prob­lems, resources, unsta­ble peace, polit­i­cal and eco­nomic cri­sis, etcetera, pro­duce the feel­ing of inse­cu­rity about our future.

This is the one of the pri­mary con­cerns of young peo­ple today. This is partly caused by the global eco­nomic reces­sion and loss of moral val­ues which the world is fac­ing, as well as by the real­iza­tion that lots of things have been dealt with using the wrong atti­tude, think­ing more about the present rather than the future. This leads to a high num­ber of well-​educated young peo­ple with no real employ­ment prospects. Young stu­dents and pro­fes­sion­als can­not buy their first house or car, like their fathers could, we are trapped inside a finan­cial sys­tem that inflates prices and makes us slaves to life­long debts or mort­gages. Under such cir­cum­stances, the youth need advice and sup­port from their elders, start­ing with sim­ple and unin­ter­ested advice up to the pos­si­bil­ity of act­ing as trustees.

We, as young peo­ple need to develop the power of col­lec­tive action. It is impor­tant for us to accept the tra­di­tions and prin­ci­ples of a dia­logue in order to pass them to future gen­er­a­tions.

Lead­er­ship is impos­si­ble with­out per­sonal audac­ity. We really need your moral sup­port. We have to admit that today we don’t have a clear solu­tion for the chal­lenges of the mod­ern world. How to achieve har­mony in geopo­lit­i­cal rela­tions, how to estab­lish effec­tive social insti­tu­tions. There is no sil­ver bul­let for that. Nev­er­the­less, we must keep on liv­ing in this world.

In this world which lacks deep rea­son­ing. In this world that has a lack of love. In this world with false promises of easy hap­pi­ness. In this world where our life expe­ri­ence became dis­rupted. Where tra­di­tions, cul­tures, and faiths are hostages of mass media and markets.

This is the sec­ond con­cern of the young peo­ple. How do we live in such a dis­rupted and dis­ori­ented WORLD? No one can answer this ques­tion but us. It’s only us, only our own activ­ity can make one com­mon social space pos­si­ble. The future depends on our deci­sion and on our abil­ity to act together. We, the young peo­ple, seem to be slower than our fathers and moth­ers, when it comes to tak­ing seri­ous respon­si­bil­i­ties, such as cre­at­ing a fam­ily or build­ing a house. But on the other side we are crossed by more infor­ma­tion and social pres­sures than ever before, hav­ing to deal with many moral dilem­mas that may not existed before.

Tagged under
Login to post comments
We use cookies to improve our website. By continuing to use this website, you are giving consent to cookies being used. More details…